Thursday 5 July 2012

Vermicelli and Semolina Upma

  


Mum, I am hungry!! I get overwhelmed when i hear these words from my lil 5 yr old. She loves junk and only junk. I have to keep trying new recipes to fit into her criteria of "LIKE IT"
I guess all kids are hooked onto Noodles, So being very diplomatic here i made Vermicelli Semolina Upma. Looks like Noodles and healthy to eat. I load it up with a lot of colour,, (veggies ofcourse)

1 cup Semolina
1 cup Vermicelli
1 cup Chopped Parboiled veggies ( i used corn, carrot,  green peas)
1/4th cup chopped onions
1 or 2 whole red chilies (mine were not spicy)
Few curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1/4 th tsp turmeric
Salt to taste
1 glass water
Ghee/oil

In a pan add Ghee , once hot crackle the mustard, whole red chilies and add the curry leaves, add the chopped onions and saute till transparent. Add the semolina  and Vermicelli. Roast till the rawness goes off. It will start giving out fragrance and the colour will start getting little brown.
Add the parboiled veggies, season it with turmeric and salt. Saute for a few more minutes and add water. Cover and cook on slow flame for about 5-10 min. Squeeze in some lemon juice and serve warm.




This post is of to Valli's ”Kid’s Delight – Evening Snacks/Tiffin” event  hosted by Cook's Joy.






4 comments:

  1. Innovative!..like the idea of blending semolina and vermicelli.I bet little Kaira enjoyed the noodly upma:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this !!!very tempting...

    ReplyDelete